Written by: Kathryn Snellen
As a small business owner in Kansas City, there is nothing that I love more than supporting other incredible local businesses and exploring my city! Kansas City has been home to me for 20-something years and it just keeps getting better with time. When not working on projects for Kathryn Elise Studio, you can find me enjoying the local dining, shopping and experiences in our city. Whether grabbing coffee with my clients, finding the best spots for a cocktail with my husband or filling up my weekend agenda, I've found my go-to spots for all things fun in KC.
- Brunch: Weekends are for brunch. And you can't go wrong with a mimosa! You can typically find me every Sunday at District Pour House + Kitchen in Waldo enjoying their amazing Salmon Benedict and mimosas. The casual vibe and craft cocktails keep us coming back for more!
- Lunch: Meeting clients and other entrepreneurs for lunch is the norm for me. I love finding fresh, healthy lunch options so that I don't crash mid-day. KES client, t.Loft is my weekly go-to for fresh juice and high-protein scramble bowls - they are delicious, low-calorie and keep me satisfied! When I'm craving a salad, The Mixx is a no-brainer. The 'Garden of Eden' is the only item I order. When there's no time for a sit down lunch, I love the drive-thru option at Unbakery Juicery + Bakery. Their chia seed pudding is both decadent and easy to enjoy on-the-go.
- Happy Hour: Cheese and wine is my weakness. I'm always on the hunt for the best small plates and Happy Hour deals in the city. A few of my favorite spots are Tannin Wine Bar (downtown), The Grille at Park Place (Leawod) and Michael Forbes Grille (Brookside).
- Date Night: Working long hours is the norm, so when I can find time for date night with the hubs I want to enjoy the best food, cocktails and atmosphere. My favorite spots that offer all three are: Novel, Gram & Dun, and Jack Stack BBQ. Luckily, KC's dining scene is always evolving!
- Fitness & Outdoors: Working out and spending time outdoors (in the warm months) is my form of therapy! I love trying new workout classes because let's be real, working out on your own takes dedication. I've recently become addicted to rowing, thanks to KES client, Health House. Their 'Dynamic Duo' class is the best way to sweat it out. I also love that they now are offering a mix of hot yoga + rowing classes, which is the best way to stretch, tone and relax! When not in the studio, I love visiting Loose Park with my pup, Otis! Find him on Instagram: @otisthepoo.
- Weekend Activities: The City Market is my favorite weekend afternoon spot. You can find me searching for fresh produce (so affordable!), flowers and a quick bite in the charming River Market neighborhood. If I don't have time for a full day, I'll pop by the Brookside Farmer's market for fresh and local product and unique finds. Perk: there are plenty of restaurants & shops nearby!
- Shops & Boutiques: KC is home to some fun shops and boutiques. I love finding unique stores where the owner is behind the counter and truly loves connecting with their customers. There is something that makes the experience more personable! I try to stick to a monthly shopping budget, but it's hard when there are so many fun places popping up. For on-trend outfits, I love Garment District (in Kansas City Power & Light District) -- especially the pieces by Scoobie. When I'm on the hunt for great quality "basics" or pieces that will get lots of wear, while still being stylish, I am obsessed with Anaphora (in Prairiefire). The store is a neutral lovers dream!
- Beauty: Beauty, blowouts and bubbly are a few of my favorite things. Being a business owner can be stressful, but also so worth it, so I love to "splurge" on pampering beauty treatments. A monthly blowout at KES client, Posh KC Blow Dry Bar is a top priority and the stylists always know how to give me the best volume and bouncy curls. For more relaxing treatments, I frequent KES client, bare med spa in Park Place for a HydraFacial (extra moisturizing for the heat we are experiencing!) and Hoopla Studio for the best mani/pedi or hot stone massage in a clean, modern environment. These are just a favorites, but I'm always on the hunt to try the latest beauty trends!
Thanks to sheKC for having me share my favorite 'KC spots!' I would love to know where you frequent? Follow me on Instagram for more behind-the-scenes as I explore Kansas City: @kathrynelisestudio.