Boss Behind the Biz: Stephanie of SKiN
Writte by: Brooke
We are back with another Boss Behind the Biz interview! Today is a fun interview because it's all about SKiN and the founder behind this incredible local business.
Created by Stephanie Simkins, SKIN™ is a line of natural skin care and body products made with organic ingredients and oils each with a specific healing component in mind.
With a background in nutrition, organic catering, and herbalism, Stephanie saw a need for a line of thoughtful products that nourish the body, mind, and soul while being conscious to the environment around her. Stephanie chose citrus fruits and healing oils because she liked how they work together to refresh, calm, and revive.
Crafted by hand, each product delivers the highest quality ingredients in their purest form to nourish, heal and provide that extra touch of pampering goodness.
1. What part of KC do you live in? South presently (but my new store is in Brookside)
2. How do you start your day? What is your morning routine? I don't speak until I have coffee! I have my coffee with Maca root powder! I start my morning by opening up every blind in my entire house, and letting as much light in as possible, followed by taking the dogs out and breathing in nature!!
3. When did you decide to start your business? I actually didn't decide to, it kind of found me!
4. Where did you go to school / what did you study? I first went to KU and studied Journalism and then I went back to school and studied nutrition and herbalism.
5. What was the biggest lesson you learned when you launched your business? The direction of your business may change several times, and you have to be willing to adapt and change with it.
6. What is the biggest challenge you have faced as a business owner? Losing my retail space and having to start over.
7. Tell us about one of your most memorable achievements in business? The day that the website that launched me told me I had sold my first lip balm!
8. What’s something you can’t go a day without? Lip balm! And coffee! And connecting with my luvs!
9. What’s your favorite KC restaurant? Ohhh boy!! Lulu's, Unbakery, Cafe Gratitude.
10. Your favorite 'hidden treasure' or secret spot to visit in KC? Lemongrass in downtown Overland Park.
11. Favorite thing to do on the weekend (or when not working) in KC? Son's ball games!River market, West West Bottoms hands-down!! Then a day trip or hike for sure!
12. What is the best piece of advice you have received? Be patient.
13. What advice would you give to someone wanting to start a business? Go with your gut! Always!
14. What's a quote you live by everyday? Be kind.