DIY: Make Your Own Terrarium
Written by: Allison Swan
Add some green to your home with an eye-catching terrarium! Check out this easy step-by-step guide on how to make your own. Materials you will need include a container, activated charcoal pieces, potting soil, sheet moss, and terrarium plants.
1. Build the base by placing 1-2 inches of charcoal at the bottom of your container.
2. Mix the remaining charcoal with soil by hand. Add the charcoal and soil mixture to your container by filling it one-third full, gently packing it every two inches to avoid air pockets.
3. Next, add your greens. Carefully remove the plants from their containers and position them on top of the soil, allowing enough room between the plants for additional soil. Tuck them deep enough to keep the plants from reaching above the top of the container.
4. Then, position the moss on top of the soil in-between the plants.
5. Lastly, give them a drink and be sure to place the container in a well-lit area with indirect sunlight. Water according to the type of plants you have, and test the soil for moisture before watering.
And that's it! The best part? Maintenance is minimal once your plants are established. Simply trim any leaves growing out over the top of your container.