Disconnect: Digital Detox
Written by: Allison Swan
Everyone has been guilty of the multi-tasked phone conversation, the mid-meal text message, and the just-before-bed email check. Detox and disconnect from your technology to reconnect each and every day, little by little.
Here are some ways to appreciate your surroundings, feel more at peace with your electronics, and start logging off and living better.
- Wait at least 10 minutes before responding to an email or text.
- Hang an inspiration board by your desk to have creative solutions just a glance away.
- Ditch the digital invites and send paper invitations instead to your next party.
- Visit an art museum without your phone or camera.
- Leave your favorite book in a public place with a note to a stranger.
- Go off the grid to reconnect with nature in a place without service.
- Doodle during a meeting. Putting pen to paper will sharpen your focus (much more than checking your email).
- Use a paper map and leave the electronic version at home. If you get lost, it's just part of the new adventure.
Now, make your own list. Once you choose a prompt, commit to completing it before the day is through. Reflect on the effect the action has on you and those around you.